Monday, November 9, 2009

I love America

Thank you Tammy for encouraging me to get busy and write a new blog. It must run in the Rimington blood. I can't believe I'm doing this on my own without Janell sitting here. Please don't faint when you see this new post.

Yesterday I sat contemplating about my fortunate blessing to be born in this wonderful land of America. What did it take, before I came here, to have such a blessing. I can remember as a child, getting a lump in my throat when anything patriotic happened. When I was in the fourth or fifth grade, they had a big program, with the school children, in the tabernacle. Our music teacher told us she was going to teach us something that would really surprise our parents. She taught us the last verse to our National Anthem. She said not many adults knew it. I was so excited and so proud to be able to do that. To this day I still remember that verse and it chokes me up and I feel tingly all over. I hope you don't mind me quoting it. (We sang all the verses.)

" Oh thus be it ever when free men shall stand, between their loved homes and the war's desolation. Blest with victory and peace may the heaven rescued land, praise the Power that hath made and preserved us nation. Then conquer we must when our cause it is just and this be our motto: "In God Is Our Trust." And the star spangled banner in triumph shall wave o'er the land of the free and the home of the brave!"

Well, I only had to correct a few words. As I was looking at the words, I realized that the word Power was capitalized and it brought home more powerfully to me the influence that God has over this nation every day. The broadcast on Sunday was so beautiful and I wept to think that I have the privilege to see everything unfolding and that America has had God fearing men and women fighting for its liberty since the days of the Book of Mormon.

As we celebrate Veteran's Day Wednesday, I hope we will all say a prayer to Heavenly Father that he will watch over the men and women who are making it possible for us to continue to see our beautiful flag wave over a land that is free. Some will not come home the same. When I was in Mexico I loved the country, the people and everything I learned, but when I stepped onto our soil I will never be able to explain the feeling I felt. I LOVE AMERICA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!and the USA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Today is Casey's birthday and I would like to pay tribute to him and his willingness to serve our country! I salute Cavron for his service and our Grandpa Andy who served in World War I. May we always remember this incredible gift.

I love you all! Thanks again Tammy!

4 comments:

Janell said...

Ok - that one caused a few tears! I, too, love America! Thanks for the reminder!

PS - I'm proud of you! You'll be a computer expert in no time!

Unknown said...

Three cheers for America, Freedom, and the troops! :)

Three cheers for Linda branching out! Isn't this what America is all about? Experiencing new things... ;)

Love you! It was a wonderful message!

Dana said...

Wow Linda - I have absolutely never, never heard the the last verse to that song. I was so touched by the words - I wish it was taught more often.

Thank you, thank you for sharing and for your beautiful tribute to our soldiers.

M. Nelson said...

What a great land we live in!

Great job on your solo post. I love hearing from you.

PS--Tammy needs to take her own advice. :)